Friday, June 3, 2011

I used to be judgmental. And I judge myself for that.

So, before I got credit cards myself, I used to mentally sneer at those who accrued thousands in credit card debt. I thought, How hard can it be to not spend money? I mean, really. Did you actually need those shoes or that new couch?

And then I got credit cards.

It's such a slippery slope. At first, I was going to be good and not get caught in the credit card trap. I was only going to use the card for gas and groceries, so I could use the cards, establish some credit, earn some rewards points and pay it mostly down at the end of the month.

Ha.

Now, two-three (I forget) years later, I have over four thousand dollars on my two credit cards, and I find myself trying to pay them down. And then I keep needing to use the cards because I accidentally double paid my student loans, or my cellphone bill came out of my account earlier than I thought it would.

I have a plan to pay them off. The one with %22 interest is under $1,000, which is good. But the one with %13 interest has almost $3,300 on it, and that's going to take longer. I can get the first paid off before this year ends (as long as I stop needing the overdraft protection, damn it). But even paying $300 a month on the other one, it's going to be nearly a year before the other one is paid.

And all this on a little more than $600 a month income.

Whee.

No comments:

Post a Comment